Tiger Woods has teased us all of the majors this year as he has been in the lead or near the lead when the weekend began. The sad reality is that he should have won three majors this year but he can’t get out of his own way.
What does that mean? Tiger is playing too safe to fail and unfortunately the field isn’t as bad as it once was and they are playing to win. If there is such a thing as being too defensive, then that is what Tiger is.
He hits too many irons off the tee. He doesn’t go for it when he should go for it. He doesn’t take advantage of his length enough for it to even matter that he is long. He also can’t make a putt that matters anymore.
The reason all of those things occur is because he cares too much what people think. He’s not the carefree young man that used to just take his opponents will and crushes it. Now he’s a caring middle aged man that isn’t playing the game, he’s getting played by the game.
For Tiger to win a major next year, the following things are going to have to occur:
- He needs to become one with his driver. Hit it hard, hit it often, and hit it straight. Forget the cut, forget the draw, play the shape that you have that day.
- He needs to replace the putter. If you win the first 14 majors with the same putter and then you win no majors with the new putter, then it’s a sign to put the damn Scotty Cameron back in the bag.
- Fix your distance control. You are hitting irons too far and wedges too inconsistently. When you start hitting lob wedges over 100 yards, you are playing too much with your angle of attack.
- Find Butch Harmon and let him get you back on plane. You used to be able to work the ball both ways, now you are too predictable. If the pin is on the left side of the green you are obsolete.
- See if Elin will break you off or find you a bunch of hoes and get busy. That can only help your confidence… Well at least it used too. You haven’t won a major since you guys split up. She likes cashing checks as much as you do so give her a call and have her help you help the family.
Tiger has been inconsistent and even though he’s a little over a year with the swing he’s learned from Foley, he’s lost something even greater in my opinion. He has lost his killer instinct.
Time is running out and the field is getting better. For every hour you spend on the range hitting balls, spend 30 minutes on the green hitting some putts. Trust me you need to get busy if you want to get to 18 majors.
Stay Breezy ~ I’m Out!